I help people move beyond loss, couples restore their connection and individuals reclaim their lives…
- I help people discover and complete what was left unfinished by a significant loss, without burying grief or distracting themselves.
- I help couples resolve conflict, improve communication, and restore their connection with each other.
- I help individuals reclaim control over aspects of their lives that have been dominated by negativity and adversity, helping them see they are so much greater than their problems.
I needed to find answers on how one moves on after such a loss, and fortunately I did. What I discovered, though, is that often times people bear the burden of their grief for many years. Some would like to experience fond memories without them turning painful. Others want their lives to be a legacy of love to the one they lost, rather than a monument to pain. They simply need someone to show them how. This led me to getting the training I need to help others recover from loss. I felt this was one way I could honor my daughter’s life.
Training, Certification, and Accomplishments
- Master’s Degree in Applied Family & Child Studies, with specialization in Marriage & Family Therapy (NIU, 2012)
- Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (LMFT in Illinois, #166.001127)
- Grief Recovery Specialist certified by the Grief Recovery Institute, Bend, Oregon
- Marriage & Family Therapy, giving me a holistic, inter- and intra-psychic, and systemic understanding of relationships and mental health
- Grief Recovery Method, which provides a means for completing what is left unfinished emotionally by death, divorce, and other losses
- Gottman Level I: Bridging the Couples Chasm (acquainted me with the best research into what satisfied couples do well versus what dissatisfied couples do not)
- Collaborative Couples therapy intensive with Dr. Dan Wile
- PET-C (Pragmatic-Experiential Therapy for Couples) (studied under Dr. Brent Atkinson, developer of this approach)
- 16-week online certificate and 4-day intensive courses in Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (this validated what I have learned from the clients I have helped most in therapy about what is useful in treatment)
- Training in Disaster Case Management, sponsored by Catholic Charities
- Author of Cartwheels in the Rain: Finding Faith in the Wake of the Unthinkable, (c) 2010, DPI: Nashville
- Conducting Grief Recovery Method Support Groups and one-on-one programs since 2009
- Appearances on Dateline NBC: Columbine – The Road Home; WindyCity Live (ABC-Channel 7, Chicago) related to the one-year anniversary of the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary, and others.